Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My favorite brands

Whenever I tell someone that I collect nail polish, or more frequently, that I am obsessed with nail polish, the first thing they ask me is what brand I prefer. The quick answer? I like them all. I have yet to find a brand that doesn't have at least one color I am a fan of. Some formulas do seem to work better for me than others (Essie, Zoya) but I find that it has a lot to do with the age, pigmentation, and finish of the polish formula.

Age: Since I get my polish on the cheap, I frequent ebay for some deals. While I haven't had any outright issues, it can be questionable whether the polish you're buying is really what you think it is. I've received a few old polishes that have clearly had some evaporation (Zoya Renew to the rescue!) as well as some that just seem to be 'duds'- almost as though they were part of a bad batch and are streakier or chalkier than most.

Pigmentation: Highly pigmented polishes almost never give me issues. Two (or sometimes even one) coats are all that is needed for pure polish glory. I'm not a fan of sheer polishes for this reason. When you have to go up to 4 coats for your polish to even out, it gets a lot harder to apply neatly and evenly.

Finish: Just as with pigmentation, I almost never have a problem with glitter or shimmer polishes. The ones that seem to hate me are all cremes, and are thus harder to hide their imperfections. Who notices bubbles when you're loaded with glitter? (Well...I do...but that's beside the point).

So, I don't discriminate against any brands, and I will try anything that looks pretty. I admire some bloggers for their devotion to Big3 free nail polish, or using only polishes from companies that don't test on animals, but to be honest, these aren't concerns of mine. If a polish is B3F or comes from a brand that I know is environmentally-friendly, it's a plus, but it's not a necessity.

The only thing I do discriminate against is price. I like food, and heat, and internet, so all of the polishes I have purchased have come to me for $4.00 or less- including shipping- I'm a stickler! How did I settle on 4 bucks? Well...it was $2.50, but I couldn't pass up the Sunshine Collection from Zoya, which was selling for BOGO free...which amounted to $4.00 a polish. Zoyas, as mentioned above, wear really well on me, so they are my exception to the $2.50 rule. Anyway, this means I won't be showcasing many "designer" polishes. I don't have any Rescue Beauty Lounge, BB Couture, Chanel, Deborah Lippman, or MAC polishes. But, I am always open to swaps or gifts :D and will willingly accept an expensive polish and promise to love it just as much as my cheapies. Obviously.

Do you think the expensive polishes live up to their hype? Am I being ridiculous for sticking to my budget? Let me know what you think!
And for anyone who is new to the polish scene, I will explain some of the terminology in future posts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment